If you are a baseball pitcher, then you should not buy any baseball gloves that are cheap.
The same thing happens with pitchers cleats.
In pitcher’s gloves, the pocket should be deep enough to catch the fast coming balls towards him.
Another important thing is webbing.
Your gloves should not have a open web. Otherwise, the batsmen can see the index finger, and he can guess about the pitch.
Other important things are:
In the next section, I’ve shared the number one recommendation for the baseball gloves for pitchers.
So, let’s find out.
My Quick Recommendation
I recommend two gloves for pitchers.
If you want budget friendly gloves, then Rawlings Select Pro Lite Gloves are perfect for you.
But, if you can spend two to three times more, then there is nothing better than Wilson A2000 Clayton Kershaw Baseball Gloves.
Wilson A2000 Clayton Kershaw Baseball Gloves
The closed webbing will allow you to hide the ball from the batsmen, so he’ll not be able to guess about the pitch.
These gloves need a little break in because every glove takes time to adjust according to your hands.
Whether you throw with left hand or right hand, they have gloves for both type of pitchers.
You’ll also get a 1 Year Warranty. So, you can purchase it without worries.
Rawlings Select Pro Lite Youth Gloves
You’ll get various color options with good design.
Even, you can find them for both type of players. For players who throw with right hand and left hand.
They also comes with 90% break in from the factory. Just 10% break in required from the buyer’s end.
But, as you are not spending big money on it. So, you may have to compromise with the durability.
They will last perfectly fine for 2 to 3 seasons. But, after that, if you are not taking care of them, then you can see the problem.
Things to consider for Pitcher’s Gloves
This video is worth watching.
- Pocket size: The pocket is the part of the glove where the ball is to be caught. There should be deep pocket for the pitcher in order to provide him with the perfect play.
- Webbing: The web which is used to create the pocket comes in numerous numbers of styles.
The web should be closed as the batter should not be able to see the index finger.
An open web will help the batter in watching the movement of the ball. If the movement of the ball is seen by the batsmen, it will benefit the batsmen.
- Material: The material is the main criteria to consider. The most preferred material is leather. As leather provides proper grip. Leather offers a good combination of durability and affordability.
- Comfort: The Pitcher should be comfortable while playing the game. So, the gloves for the pitchers should provide him to perform better.
- Size: The size of the glove size should not always be really big or really small. It should be according to the size of the player.
It should be considered that a glove size doesn’t change for a long time. So, always prefer the perfect size.
- Price: If you buy a 30$ pitcher glove, it might last for 2-3 seasons. But, if you get a 250$ glove, it can last your lifetime.
So, the price will decide the durability.
Best Baseball Gloves for Pitchers
Wilson A2000 Clayton Kershaw Gloves
The Wilson A2000 Clayton Kershaw Baseball glove is an 11.75” Pitcher Model.
It has 2-piece webbing. You should choose a closed webbed glove as it will allow you to hide the ball from the batter.
It has pro stock leather for a long lasting glove and a great break-in. It has dual Welting(TM) which provides a durable pocket.
DriLex Wrist Lining will help you to keep your hand cool and dry.
It is available with both right hand and left-hand throw. So, you can choose it accordingly.
It needs a little break in to be game ready. So, you have to prepare it well before the final play.
It also doesn’t have many color options. But you can get the standard colors.
It will cost your pocket a huge amount. But, it can be assured that it will be according to the material which will be provided by the company.
It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Pro Stock Leather
- Dual Welting
- Available with a right hand and left-hand throw
- 1 Year Warranty
- Needs a little break in
- Does not have many color options
Wilson A2000 Clayton Kershaw Game Model Pitcher Baseball comes with pro stock leather which will cost you a heavy amount.
Though, having that cost it also doesn’t have many different options and needs a little break in.
But, it can be assured that the material is worth the money.
2. Rawlings Select Pro Lite Youth Series Baseball Glove
Rawlings Select Pro Lite Youth Series Baseball Glove is an 11-1/4-inch-all-leather youth baseball glove.
It is designed with smaller hand openings and lowered finger stalls.
It is styled after Josh Donaldson’s game model. It is youth pro taper fit pattern which offers a smaller hand opening for great control.
It is a Pro I web which has leather lacing.
It has padding for palm and index finger padding with cushioned finger back lining.
It is a game ready product which comes 90% broken-in from the factory. So, you don’t need to do much effort for breaking in the gloves.
It comes at a very affordable price. It won’t cost you much.
It is available in different sizes so you can choose the right feet for your hand.
It provides various color options from which you can choose the color you want.
It is available with both right hand and left-hand throw. So, you can choose the glove according to your dominant hand.
- Available with a right hand and left-hand throw
- Various color options
- Available in different sizes
- Break-in at 90%
- Durable Design
- Secure Fit
- Padded Construction
- For youngsters under 14
- Durable, but not durable compared to other costly products
Rawlings Select Pro Lite Youth Series is designed with smaller hand openings and lowered finger stalls. So, it can only be used by children under the age of 14.
It comes with a 90% break in and you don’t need many efforts for preparing your gloves for the game.
It should be noted that the gloves are durable, but, are not as durable as compared to the other costly products available.
So, if you are looking for a glove for your youngster who is less than 14 which you can easily afford, this product is recommended.
3. Wilson 2016 A2K B212 Pitcher Baseball Glove
Wilson 016 A2K B212 Pitcher Baseball Glove is 11.75 inches and comes in a Pro Stock Select Leather.
It provides a 2x palm construction which provides you with the maximum pocket stability.
It has a rolled dual-welting which will help in a quicker break-in and it will take less time in order to be ready for the game.
It has 3x more craftsmen shaping which means the glove is pounded and shaped by a master technician at the factory. It also reduces the break-in time.
As it is closed from the outside, It has a great and big area to hide from the batter.
It is considered as the premier glove.
It has a rolled dual welting.
It is a durable product. Though, it is costly.
Much colors of the product are also not available. But, it contains all the standard colors which are to be used while playing.
It is only available for a right-hand throw. So, the people who take the left-hand throw, it can’t be any use for them.
It is one of the most popular patterns among the professional pitchers.
- Two-Piece Closed Web
- Used by Professional pitchers
- Many colors aren’t available
- Only for a right-hand throw
Wilson 016 A2K B212 Pitcher Baseball Glove is a standard glove which is used by the professional pitchers.
Though you have to pay a huge amount, but is also durable. It should be kept in mind that this glove comes with a right-hand throw.
So, it can be suggested that if you want a glove which is also used by the professionals. You can choose this product and the most important thing which should be considered that this glove comes only with a right-hand throw and is not meant for a left-hand throw.
How to Break in Baseball Gloves
Brand new baseball gloves are pretty hard. So, you need to break in before getting it ready for the final game.
Some of the ways to break in baseball gloves are:
- Use them: You should use the gloves while playing baseball every time. It is probably the best method. It won’t require you extra energy and won’t take your extra time. So you should consider using your new gloves for practicing.
- Oil it Up: You can try to oil it up. The oil you can use to break in baseball gloves can be baby oil, Vaseline, Shaving cream, Saddle soap and special glove oils. You just need to drizzle a little bit of oil in order to get the result.
There’s a lot of controversy over working of this method. Though, you can give it a try as it won’t cost you much.
- Beat it up: Another time-saving way which can help you soften the baseball glove is just to beat the hell out of the glove.
Get a hammer and start beating on the outside and inside of the baseball glove.
- Heat it up: It is used by several players to soften up their glove. You can heat your glove in the oven, microwave or even your heat in the car if the temperature is hot.
Heat can cause the leather on the glove to decay faster than normal. Some players rather cut off their pinkie and after that let this happen.
These are some of the ways which can be tried in order to break in the baseball glove. These methods can be helpful in breaking out the baseball glove.
In the end, it can be said that the gloves for Pitchers can solely be decided on the need of the player.
As gloves are important components for the Pitcher in the game. He should carefully analyze all his options before coming on a final decision.
The main things to look up before buying the glove is the material- the material should be of leather, durability, pocket size and closed webbing should always be preferred in order to provide the best hiding technique from the batsmen.
So, it can be concluded that Best Baseball gloves may cost you with some extra money. But, the best companies which provide the best products should always be opted by the player who wants to play professionally in the future.